Monday, December 21, 2009

Bonnie's Green Bean Casserole


I took my Green Bean Casserole to our first Christmas celebration last night and it was once again enjoyed by all. So I thought I'd finally get around to sharing the recipe with everyone!

Bonnie’s Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients:
28-30 oz canned green beans, drained
½ medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced small
2 Tbs butter or bacon drippings
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 cup cheese, shredded
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ lb bacon (optional)

Directions:
1. preheat oven to 350° F
2. cook bacon until crispy, remove to paper towel to cool then crumble
3. melt butter in pan (or use bacon drippings), sauté celery - when celery begins to get soft, add onions and sauté until very, very soft. I do this in a pan set to LOW and use a lid to keep the moisture in. It takes a while for the celery to break down but is best when the celery is not crunchy.
4. mix mayonnaise and cream in large bowl
5. add seasonings and stir to mix
6. add remaining ingredients and toss to distribute sauce
7. pour into casserole dish
8. bake uncovered 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges (if it is browning too much for your taste, cover with foil or casserole lid)


For a crowd or potluck – I make a double batch and bake it in a 9x13 pan. Here is the doubled ingredient list:

56-60 oz canned green beans, drained
1 medium onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced small
4 Tbs butter or bacon drippings
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup mayonnaise
2 cup cheese, shredded
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 lb bacon


Inspired by this recipe: Low Carb Green Bean Casserole by Mercy on RecipeZaar

4 comments:

  1. There is definately a great deal to find out about this subject.
    I really like all of the points you've made.

    Here is my blog post :: Blast XL Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fun with, cause I found just what I was taking a look for.
    You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a nice day. Bye


    e-cig review

    ReplyDelete
  3. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who had been conducting
    a little research on this. And he actually bought me lunch due to
    the fact that I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.
    ... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this matter here on
    your website.

    my homepage ... Diet Patch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good writeup. It if truth be told was
    a amusement account it. Glance complicated to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we communicate?


    corexin

    ReplyDelete