Monday, September 28, 2009

iherb

Many of you are aware of my desire to eventually add some of my favorite tried-and-true sugar-free, yeast-free, low-carb recipes - many of which are also gluten-free. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to do this soon. In the meantime, I wanted to let you know about my three favorite resources for health products as many of my recipes will include ingredients that aren't found on local grocery shelves (or are there at twice the cost of internet pricing).



This is a great resource for vitamins, natural supplements, alternative health books, organic grocery items, and alternative baking/cooking ingredients. There are also lots of other items that I haven't even begun to explore including protein powders, protein bars, etc.


The first time you order, use my referral code and you'll SAVE $5. Plus shipping is FREE when your order totals $40 or more. Another perk...every time you order (the initial order and afterwards), I will earn a tiny reward perk on my account. These perks will help me afford to keep experimenting with low-carb ingredients to bring you great recipes! But don't stop there...refer other people and we'll both be rewarded (they will give you details after your first order). All orders over $60 receive a special discount every day. And don't forget to look in the freebies section for some great samples and brochures!

Referral Code: ONE706

In addition to vitamins and a couple supplements, here are the main ingredients that I order from iherb: NuNaturals Stevia Extract, NOW Foods Vegetable Glycerin, NOW Foods Lecithin Granules, Vital Wheat Gluten, Wheat Bran, Soy Flour, and Black Soy Beans.


Emerald Forest is my trusted resource for the sweeteners Xylitol and Erythritol. Although I prefer Erythritol and use it in most of my recipes. Xylitol has a special place in my ice cream recipe. This company provides great information about these sweeteners and their safety. Also, for anyone who is following a yeast-free diet, xylitol and erythritol are allowed sweeteners.


Shipping is free for all orders over $30



Honeyville Food Products is my new go-to place for blanched almond flour. Until last night, I didn't realize the difference a good, quality almond flour would make to my recipes! Last week, I made a delicious batch of Pumpkin Pie Muffins. In the meantime, I had learned about Honeyville and decided to order a 5 lb bag of their blanched almond flour. Last night I made a second batch of the Pumpkin Pie Muffins - and I can't even begin to describe the difference! It took the star rating from a 3/5 to a 5/5+. The texture is so much closer to a muffin made with white flour - light, fluffy, and smooth. When I had made my own almond flour/meal, the texture was alway very grainy because I lack the equipment to make it extremely fine. Well, I won't even consider making my own anymore! Join the revolution!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you have any favorite websites for recipes that are sugar and yeast free. It was recently decided that I should try out a diet like this to see if things improve. I love to cook and I'm definitely open to learning new recipes, so I'm choosing to see this as an interesting challenge rather than 'oh no! I can't eat cake!'. Fortunately, I work in a Whole Foods store so getting all of these ingredients is easy (and I get a discount!). Any tasty recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea-

    I have two favorites at the moment - but even then I have to weed through some of the recipes that include things I'm not allowed to eat. I've learned to make substitutions when I can - and have decent results most of the time.
    http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com
    and
    http://www.elanaspantry.com

    Each doctor is different in their specific recommendations so it kinda depends on the specifics of the diet you are following. I have seen major health improvements and it is very worth it though.

    Feel free to email me or leave another comment with more questions. Keep me posted on your progress and thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you! Just browsing those two sites has my mouth watering. :) I have to cut out most dairy too, but there are a hundred other products to use for that so I'm not too worried. I start shopping for new food today - wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete