Monday, December 28, 2009

Ginger Ale

I think I first made this recipe when I was pregnant and dealing with an upset tummy. I have since then turned to it on several occasions when a stomach virus reared it's ugly head or just when I got a craving for a sweet drink with a bite. Since commercially prepared ginger ales that don't use sugar or aspartame are few and far between (though becoming more prevalent), this recipe is an especially important one in my arsenol. This ginger ale definitely has a bite - it reminds me of "ginger beer" that I had while visiting Europe...however, it is GOOD and the intensity can be varied depending on how much of the syrup you use.

Ginger Ale

Ingredients:
4 cups cold water
4 inches ginger root
1 Tbs vanilla extract (no sugar added)
2 tsp lemon extract (no sugar added)
1/2 tsp NuNaturals White Stevia Extract
Club Soda or Seltzer Water

To prepare Ginger Ale Syrup:
1. Peel ginger root.
2. Grate, mince, shread, and/or peel the ginger root flesh into a medium sized pot.
3. Add the water.
4. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour.
6. Remove from heat and strain to remove ginger pieces.
7. Add vanilla extract, lemon extract, and stevia. Stir.
8. Cool to room temp.
9. Store in an airtight container or mason jar with tight fitting lid in the refrigerator. The syrup stays fresh for several weeks when stored properly.

To prepare Ginger Ale:
1. Place desired amount of ice in large glass.
2. Pour 1/8-1/4 cup of Ginger Ale Syrup over ice.
3. Fill glass with approximately 1 cup of chilled club soda or seltzer water.

Inspired by this recipe: Ginger Ale by Troyh on recipezaar.com

2 comments:

  1. I love ginger ale, homemade is always better! I've made the fermented kind before, but never this kind. Should make soon, I'm always drinking ginger tea (I have a strange love for hot beverages even in the hot summer weather).

    Thanks for stopping by on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ι am rеally enjοyіng the thеme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run іnto any brοwseг сompatibility
    issues? A numbеr οf my blog visitorѕ havе complainеd about my website not woгking correctly in Explorer
    but looκs grеat in Chrome. Do you have anу аdѵice to
    help fix thіs pгoblеm?
    Feel free to visit my page - Americas Cardroom Poker Bonus

    ReplyDelete